Garrett-Evangelical seeks to support and assist students of Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary who are considering academic accommodations because of disability or health conditions.        

The first step to seeking an academic accommodation is to contact Reasonable accommodations will only be considered for students who have met with the appropriate contact and filed appropriate paperwork and documentation. We will work on updating the current information on Garrett’s website regarding academic accommodations for disabilities and medical conditions. The information and forms there are still generally applicable. In brief, the process involves the following steps: 

  1. All queries should be directed to   
  2. The Dean of Student Life, Dr. Karen Mosby, conducts initial consult. 
  3. Student completes application and medical verification forms. 
  4. Student’s case file is referred to Access Coordinator (AC), Dr. Jill Sieben-Schneider. 
  5. AC conducts interactive process, reviews application, analyzes medical documentation, makes a decision, and issues “accommodation letter” to Registration Services (RS).  
  6. RS sends accommodation letter to student’s professors for implementation. Students and professors may contact AC (via for questions and support. 
  7. Accommodation letter is forwarded to every professor of every class for the student at the start of every term following approved accommodations, unless/until the student’s condition(s) change(s). 

Types of Accommodations

Accommodations can be made for students who have documented learning, physical, medical or psychological conditions.  Both long-term and short term accommodations are possible. 

 Types of architectural accessibility accommodations might include:  Classroom accommodations (ensuring accessible seating, wheelchair access, etc.); residential modifications for students living in the seminary apartments or dormitories.

 Types of academic accommodations include: exam and testing modifications, writing support, note taking support, assistive learning systems, readers, audio recordings, large print materials, and other auxiliary aids.


Paperwork and Documentation

Students who are seeking accommodation will need to fill out several forms and review the seminary’s entire accommodation policy. 

Documentation of the student’s condition, especially for hidden disabilities or chronic health conditions, must be current, completed, and signed by a professional such as a physician, psychologist, or rehabilitation counselor.